Posted on

Dancing Queen

When I was approached to create a necklace for @redheaddancingmachine I was very excited.  The name of her Instagram account sounded extremely passionate and vibey!  A perfect candidate for a unique African Baroque adornment.  Barni had definite ideas which put me under slightly more pressure than usual.  There were textile colour combinations and design briefs that were fairly tight.  And yet I felt that I could interpret her personality well enough to still take some leeway.

This necklace incorporates far fewer beads than usual.  Instead I’ve used a lot of tightly clustered tandletons.

These tiny ones are really difficult to make and my fingers feel like bananas as I struggle to stuff the filling in and stitch them up.

After seeing a progress pic on my Instagram account, Barni mentioned that she’d like a bit more orange and that turned out to be a key moment.  I added dollops of orange using shweshwe and raw silk.  The necklace went from  eight to twenty eight tightly clustered tandletons.

I’ve played with it toned down in a casual combination and I know that it will also look incredible with the proverbial little black dress for a more formal occassion.

And now I’m really looking forward to it reaching it’s recipient  and getting some pics!  Redheaddancingmachine is going to electrify LA!!!!